Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Pet Danders...I mean Dangers

Then there's this stuff....

Now this was scary.

  I'm in the house vacuuming one day and as I looked out the family room french doors, I noticed that Moon was lying in the grass, chewing on something.

I scooted outside to check it out.  That's when I noticed this funny looking thing...almost shaped like a small corn-cob.  I told her to "leave it" and then I picked it up, wondering what it was.

Now bear in mind, just a few days earlier the Pres had showed me some new mouse poison...poison shaped liked small corn-cobs... that he'd bought.  Yep...you got it!  Apparently, a rodent had taken it out of the barn and dropped it on the other side of the creek.  Naturally, my Mountain Moon found it and brought it down to chew on!

Once I realized what it was, I went into the garage to look for the package so I could determine what had been ingested.  I carefully compared what was left to the initial size, then tried to determine the weight of what she had supposedly devoured.  I immediately called the Vet who gave me the Emergency Poison Control number.  Thank God for those folks!!  After researching the product and it's composition, they had me mix a concoction of peroxide and milk.  I was then instructed me to leash Moon, get her to drink it, then "trot" her around a little to get her stomach juices flowing and then place in her in a confined area where I could, in fact, monitor her vomit.  I won't go into that part of it for those of you with queasy stomachs, but I will tell you that there tactics worked wonderfully! 

I then had to bring her to my Vet for blood-work twice to insure she didn't need a shot of Vitamin K to thicken her blood back to normal.  Her blood-work turned out normal. She was going to be fine!

Hmmmmm...so that's another danger:  POISONs

Oh, and please don't forget CHOCOLATE...especially this time of the year!  

10 comments:

varunner said...

Oh Moon! Glad you found it quickly and she was just fine.

Tiggeriffic said...

So glad you saw her with that danger~! Poison is not good for animals..except for mice or rats.
I love to read your posts everyday.. You and varunner are a pair.. Just don't know what adventure you two will be doing.
Have a great Wednesday...ta ta for now from Iowa..

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Oh, I have been there before, my little ChiChi got into some rat bait, DH had put out for wood rats that had invaded his shop last winter. LOL..(not funny) but she looks like a little rat and guess she wanted what the other rats was having. Our Vet had us do the same thing and believe me I know, it wasn't a pretty sight. But thank Goodness she was alright too.
It's scary what our little precious can get into.
Glad your Moon was ok.
Molly

texwisgirl said...

Oh my goodness! Thank God you saw her chewing on something! I had a friend that lost a dog via rat poison - the dog ate a rat that had been poisoned and unfortunately they didn't realize she was sick until it was too late. What a horrible thing. I knew about the peroxide to force a dog to throw up. Poor Moon...

Nancy said...

Poor Moon! We put our rat poison in pvc tubes to keep the cats and dogs away from it -- but you can't prevent a rat or mouse from moving it, can you?

I'm so glad Moon is okay. That had to be a nightmare for you.

Carol............. said...

What a scare! Happy to hear Moon's okay.

We use similar products and shove them far under the chicken house and barns but it's likely that some big rat could pull them out.

That's the problem when you have animals and lots of feed....it's also an invitation for some unwanted visitors or "squatters" LOL.

THE OLD GEEZER said...

Yikes! I glad Moon is alive and well after eating rat poison! Your quick actions and the poison control people saved his life. I'll have to remember the peroxide and milk remedy.

~Ron

Chatty Crone said...

I had no idea that has been going on with you. Good thinking. I'm glad he is going to be okay.
sandie

Angela said...

I didn't know you could get rat poison the shape of corn like that. I'm sure my dogs would try to eat it too! I'm glad that Moon was alright! I can't imagine having to sit around and watch him vomit it all up though. Whew! Yuck! Gag! I'm sure you did some of that too!

Have a Great Day!
Angela

Shirley said...

Oh that had to be so scary! I had to give my dog the peroxide concoction once too. I forgot what he had eaten. It certainly works quick doesn't it!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...